Since 1982, Sunrise Therapeutic Riding & Learning Centre has provided a program of therapy, recreation, sport and life skills training for children and adults with special needs. The program focuses on individual ability by providing an environment of challenge, enjoyment and achievement.
We are located on a beautiful 102-acre farm in Puslinch, Ontario, between Guelph and Cambridge, and only minutes from Highway 401. In addition to therapeutic riding lessons, which are taught by Canadian Therapeutic Riding Association (CanTRA) certified instructors. Sunrise offers integrated programs open to individuals with and without special needs.
If you wish to visit, please call for an appointment to ensure that someone is available to meet with you.
“To develop the full potential of children and adults with special needs through therapy, education, horse riding, recreation, and life skills programs, farm-related and social activities.”
- A community where children and adults with special needs are treated with love and respect.
- Using horses and the farm environment as facilitators to assist those with special needs to reach their full potential giving them the tools and support to play a meaningful role in their community.
Sunrise’s Aims and Objectives
- To provide a high quality therapeutic, recreation, and sport equestrian program under the direction of qualified professional personnel.
- To offer a caring and stimulating environment, which will help individuals, experience physical, psychological, and social benefits using animal assisted therapy.
- To teach life skills and assist with developing the full potential of young people with special needs, using a farm environment and farm related activities.
- To teach the participant responsibility through the care and management of the program horses, farm property and gardens.
- To raise awareness in the community regarding the program’s impact on the challenges faced and overcome by children and adults with special needs.
- To continually seek new goals for the program and the participants.
Staff and Volunteers
- All riding instructors are certified through Equine Canada and CanTRA.
- A consultant Physiotherapist, Occupational Therapist and/or Speech and Language Pathologist assess each new rider and support the riding instructors with program delivery.
- Over 250 volunteers support our program annually by volunteering with riding lessons, committees, events, barn chores, renovations and grounds keeping.
- A group of five blacksmiths donate their time and expertise to ensure all farrier needs are met.
Sunrise is a member of: